Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Featherweight 221 Quilting

daylight | Posted in Quilting and Home Decor on

Hello to all who love sewing and quilting.

I inherited a Featherweight 221 (in near mint condition) and I would like to hear from others who are still piecing and quilting using these adorable portable machines.  I am an advanced beginner in regards to quilting but I would love to create a quilt using only this machine.  I have purchased the elongated table and a 1/4″ patchwork foot.  What other accessories would you recommend?  Also, and in a completely different vein – how can I fully utilize this machine without risking scratches from pins, etc.?

Any help or tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Replies

1. nineee | | #1

I just saw your post today as I was browsing around.  In the April 2005 issue of American Patchwork Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens, there is an article about two sisters who create all their quilts on Featherweights.  Their website is http://www.buggybarnquilts.com.  They might be a resource for your questions.  You've inherited a wonderful machine.  Wish I had one.

1. daylight | | #2

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I had thought I was a lone voice in the wood.  The article you sited was absolutely terrific and offered other, even richer sources of info on quilting with the featherweight.

Now if I could only get the kinks out of the walking foot attachment I bought on e-bay, I may actually accomplish something in the way of an actual quilt block.

1. nineee | | #3

I'm so glad you got my post.  I was afraid you might have given up on replies since your post was so early in March.  When I read your question, I immediately ran down to my magazines and started looking for the article.  I'm glad it was helpful.  Happy sewing!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights