NEW: Search The Forums

Loading

drapery problem

robkat's picture

drapery problem (post #38717)

I have drapes are a loose weave 100% cotton fabric. They have tab heading (photo attached). I've been trying to line them with little success -- every solution creates creates a different problem. I'll start by saying I'm not a novice and that my mother made drapes professionally. My plan is to inter-line these with drapery flannel backed by standard lining. I chose this because I felt it would provide greater insulation than blackout or thermal lining. These are large drapes covering picture windows -- biggest panel are 8' x 8'.

I started by loosely vertically lock stitching the flannel to backside of the finsh fabric (so they would move as one piece). then hand sewing the lining to the return and machiine top stitching the tabs/backer. I ended up with the finish fabric sagging along the vertical stitching. Second try: I treated the lining and flannel as a unit attaching within the side and center seams. It looks okay but not good--vertical edges look "stretched". Third plan: For the next panel I machine attached the flannel to the top finish fabric just inside the side returns, hand stitching the lining on the side returns, machine stitching along the tab top but I added light-weight iron on interfacing underneath to stablize the fabric. I hand stitched the hem. When hung the top fabric sags over the hem stitching.

Also, I have an 8' x 8' work table set up for this and am ironing the fabric flat between every set of stitching or movement of the fabric. I've loosed the feeds on my machine. I'm using 3" hem -- so 6" doubled -- on the finish fabric excluding the flannel which is cut to the finished length. Lining is hemmed separately. I guess the double hem is too much weight for this fabric. I've got drapery weighs at edges and seams. All fabric was washed and ironed prior to sewing.

Frankly, I'm going a bit crazy here. I've considered using iron-on, wash out stablizer but the cost would be too much. I read about using spray starch to stiffen the fabric but am not sure that would work. I've redone both panels multiple times and ready to throw them out.

At this point instead of making these as draperies should be made I'm just about ready to fold 1" the sides and hem over then top-stitching everything in place. And I'm concerned that won't work either!

HELP!

Pattiann42's picture

Drapery Problem (post #38717, reply #1 of 2)

It does sound as though the hem is too much.  I think I would try a lighter weight fabric to face the hem, heading and sides and then hanging the lining separately from the drapery. 

robkat's picture

drapery problem reply (post #38717, reply #2 of 2)

Thanks, that is an interesting idea. It's got me thinking in a different direction and presenting possible solutions.