Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Butterick 5222 – pants

VKStitcher | Posted in Patterns on

I recently made a pair of pants from Connie Crawford’s pattern, Butterick 5222.  Ths is a nice, basic pants pattern.  I added belt loops, and left out the pockets.  They fit my shape pretty well, and they are comfortable to wear.  I’ll need to fine-tune the fit at the waist on the next pair, but I will definitely make these again.

However, I’d like to pass along this bit of advice/caution about this pattern:  MEASURE!  I’m only 5’3″, and I had to add 1″ to the leg length!  I usually have to shorten pants patterns, and was amazed that I had to actually lengthen this one.  I always take my measurements and compare to the pattern before I cut it out.  If I hadn’t, I would have had to add cuffs (or make them into capris!)

Vickie  🙂

Replies

1. Josefly | | #1

pants measurements

Good advice, Vickie.  Who'd have thought the pants would be so short?  Just curious - was there any info on the pattern envelope about finished length?

Joan

1. User avater
      VKStitcher | | #2

Pants measurements

Yes Joan, there were measurements on the pattern envelope:  Side Length from Waist = 38 1/4" for the trousers (View B).  There's no mention that these are cropped pants.  The length for the shorter version (View A) is 31 1/4".  I just checked a couple of similar patterns, and the side length is 42" on both.  Interesting that there's such a difference.  Maybe Connie likes "high waters"?  :-D

Vickie

1. Josefly | | #3

pants measurements

The difference in pattern lengths is interesting.  But, I just measured my favorite rtw pants - I'm 5'5", and they measure 39" from bottom of waistband to hem, and I wear a 2" heel with them. Your pattern is a Petite pattern, so I would expect it to be shorter than regular misses pants.  But it sounds like your pattern doesn't match even the stated length, is that so?  The envelope shows all versions worn with high heels, so I would've expected them to be long enough, too.  As you say, always measure!... and even measure the pattern itself.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights