Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

1960’s style coatweight jackets patterns

Ckbklady | Posted in Patterns on

Hi everyone!

I’m looking to sew a kinda Jackie-O-ish jacket as a light car coat for the winter (I live in the Seattle area so I don’t need a coat for warmth). The style I’m after is the one currently in stores and in fashion magazines: they have stand-up collars, “bracelet sleeves” (about 3/4 length) and often have only a single button fastener at the neck.

I’ve had a lovely piece of tan camelhair just waiting for this moment, but I want to have just the right pattern for it before I cut into it.

I found Vogue 8123 View C is along the lines I want. It doesn’t have a lining but I can always add one (gold silk charmeuse remnant).

Are there other patterns I should consider? Any really good early-60s style patterns out there?

🙂 Mary

Replies

1. nmog | | #1

I just found loads of actual vintage patterns on ebay (.ca, as I'm in canada). Some are quite reasonably priced, and I did see many "Jackie O" descriptions in the headlines. You can search ebay in different ways. I also looked at many vintage pattern websites but found the prices to be significantly higher.
    Good luck in your search!
    Nicole

1. Ckbklady | | #3

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I'm after a reproduction pattern sold new and unopened. I've never had good luck buying used online - the wrong size is already cut, or an instruction sheet is missing...

I expected that Vintage Vogue would have something lovely, since the Jackie-O style has been in stores for a while, and was surprised they did not. But the 8123 (Very Easy Vogue) looks fun.

Do you know of repro pattern sellers online? I would sure consider that.

Thanks so much,

:) Mary

1. cycler1729 | | #7

Don't give up on buying online - there are great bargains - I've bought several patterns on Ebay and as long as they say new and uncut they've always been as described. 

1. Ckbklady | | #8

Thanks - I suppose. I don't really want to shop online, and for the time I'd spend hunting on eBay I could be sewing. I think I'll give the Vogue 8123 a whirl - I just noticed a nice photograph of it made up in the Oct/Nov Vogue Patterns magazine. It's not a total Jackie-O slamdunk, but it's close enough.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

2. DONNAKAYE | | #2

I love the Jackie-O style jackets and have a few in my pattern boxes in my studio.  If you'll let me dig through them in the morning, I'll get back to you.  I'm not convinced Vogue 8123 is your only option at this point, although I do think it's a fabulous jacket.  The trick is getting the collar just right. . . . .D.

1. Ckbklady | | #4

Hiya!

I'd love to know what you find in your pattern stash - thanks!!

Do you think that the collar in the 8123 would be tricky? I have a lightweight buckram I thought I'd baste inside it to keep it standing, but not too stiffly. Would you do something else?:) Mary

3. sewfar | | #5

I really like a new Simplicity 3631.  It's a  3/4 raglan sleeve jacket.  The belled sleeves look graceful and the little tucks on the front elegant.  It does not have a stand up collar but perhaps you could add one if you want.  It has that  special  60's look to me  and I think it will be easy to fit and sew.  Now to find fabric !

1. Ckbklady | | #6

Ooh, that's lovely too - I'll add it to my list. I'll have to go to JoAnn Fabrics today to sit down with the patterns and compare them. Thanks!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights