Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Pfaff creative 2040 embroidery machine

hermosa | Posted in Machine Embroidery on

I am considering buying this machine from a person whose spouse passed away last winter. Does anyone know when this one came out? He said it has been upgraded and is asking 2,000. I have Berninas and am not familiar with Pfaff, but am willing to learn because it has a built-in walking foot which I just love. I make mostly garments; dresses, suits, pants etc.. but would like to do a little artistic work for the family. Does the price sound reasonable? Neither one of us is in a hurry, so I have time to decide. Thanks for your input.

Replies

1. sltboop | | #1

don't know about that one but i have a 2144 pfaff sews and embroiders beautifully just not alot of tec support for them not in ontario anyway hope this helps good luck

2. Betakin | | #2

One of my machines is a Pfaff but not an embroidery model and it is a wonderful machine. Judging from the reviews on the 2040 on PatternReview it seems that owners had their machines from around 2000 so it seems this model is about 10 yrs old. There are several reviews on this machine on the PR website that you may wish to check if you haven't already.

3. gailete | | #3

I would recommend searching ebay to see what these machines are going for to see if the price is reasonable remembering you won't have to pay for shipping AND you have a chance to actually check the machine so no surprises. Many people after paying a ton of money for a machine have problems letting it go for what it is NOW worth. $2000 seems a bit high to me for a 10 year old machine.

4. Teifi | | #4

Hi Hermosa,

I am a newbie on Gatherings so forgive me if I cover ground which is familiar to you. Like others I have a Pfaff sawing machine which belonged to my Mum. It is around 40 years old but still works fine - the quality of construction is great. This is just as well as parts for it can be very hard to come by in the UK at least!

You already know that the 2040 isn't the latest model, but  there is lots of positive feedback out there on it. The new range seems to pretty much based on it anyway, so that parts etc shouldn't be an issue.

I am not familiar with the market for used machines in the US, but I agree that price seems rather high. A quick trawl around my favourite UK sites suggests a current (similiar as far as I can tell) model would cost around £1100 (often with free gifts and delivery thrown in) - say $1600 - $1700 perhaps?

There may be lots of extra goodies and this justifies the price, otherwise you might want to see if there is any movement possible?

Hope that helps

Colleen

5. User avater
    SewSassy3 | | #5

Well... not sure if this will help or not. I have a Pfaff 2025 that I bought new for about $900 in 2003. I remember looking at the 2040 (and dreaming) - though I don't remember the exact differences right now. I can say that the 2025 has been wonderful - never had a problem, and I love it. It has a limited number of stitches, but it is a workhorse. It was all I needed at the time - and is still my main machine.If I remember correctly, I'm thinking $2,000 is about the price the 2040 was new back then. So - it seems high to me for an older machine like that. If you have a Pfaff dealer in your area, they may have some older machines that have been traded in that you can compare with. I also bought an older used Pfaff with more stitches and embroidery options, and at the time it was about 10 years old and ran really well, and I paid about $850 for it - though it wasn't as sophisticated as the 2040. Good luck!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights