Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

bernna 730

ravenswood | Posted in Machine Embroidery on

I recently  bought a new Bernina  730 and I am having difficulty getting familiar with it is there anyone out there who can help me please.

Replies

1. Pattiann42 | | #1

What in particular are you have a problem with?

1. ravenswood | | #2

MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE BOOK I RECEIVED WITH THE MACHINE (I FEEL) ASSUMES THAT YOU HAVE HAD AN  EMBROIDERY MACHINE BEFORE AND STARTS FROM THERE WHEREAS IN FACT I HAVE NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE AND CANNOT FIND MY WAY. 

1. MaryinColorado | | #3

When I learned to do machine embroidery, the dealer offered classes to learn your new machine, for free, in fact, so you may want to contact one of the dealers in your area with your brand.  Often, the booklets that come with the machines as inadequate, some companies offer a larger manual for a fee.  Have you tried going to the manufacturer's website and looking under education?  Is it made by Bernina?  Thier website is http://www.bernina.com

http://www.emblibrary.com has very good instructions, some in video form, for free, on thier website.  They cover everything from which stabilizer to use when and how to hoop.  I hope this helps. 

Once you learn the basics, it will be quite easy to do the rest.  I hope you will enjoy the process.  Mary

Edited 1/18/2008 10:41 am by MaryinColorado

1. ravenswood | | #4

thank you Mary,  I will certainly look at those sites,  Bernina USA certainly look after their customers a lot better that in Europe.

1. MaryinColorado | | #5

Oh, I don't know how well Bernina does in the US either.  I have Husqvarna/Viking machines and have really been blessed with excellent customer service from two great dealerships.  I do like the Bernina website better than Husqvarna's though, they have so many projects and designers for sewing and serging.  There are also alot of embroidery groups on http://www.yahoo.com that you might wish to join, they are helpful at times.

Good luck with your embroidering, I hope you will love it as much as I do.  Mary

2. ravenswood | | #8

Thank you Mary,  I am pleased with the machine,   and look forward to the time when I have mastered it,  but feel it is a long time off.   We only have one dealer in our country and he has no idea. The bernina USA web sites exellent,  I especially like those with video clips.    What I really need is a specific course in DVD.    Thanks for your interet.    Veronica

2. Pattiann42 | | #6

I bought my first embroidery machine at a discount store 6 years ago.  My only experience was sewing, so the threading and bobbin winding was not new to me, but the hooping and supplies needed were.  I never took lessons and learned on my own by reading and watching sewing/quilting shows that sometimes included machine embroidery.

I subscribe to two machine embroidery magazines and a book that has been very helpful to me is "Embroidery Machine Essentials - How to Stabilize, Hoop and Stitch Decorative Designs" by Jeanne Twigg.

Doing it yourself is possible, but since you purchased your machine from an honest to goodness dealer, I think you should ask about lessons/classes.  They should also show you how to download designs from the Internet.

Did you get any of the basic supplies with the machine; stabilizer, bobbin thread, needles, scissors, bobbins.....?

Did you get any software programs with the machine?

We will help you as much as we can, but I do know of another site where there is a Bernina expert - Sewform.com.  Just post your query and Berninababe will come to your rescue.

Edited 1/18/2008 11:23 am ET by spicegirl1

1. ravenswood | | #7

Thank you,  I did purchase from the bernina dealer,  and went to London for the course provided with the machine but more tha half the time was taken up with machine sewing basics,  which I know and then we went onto embroidery.

I think what would be most useful is is I had a course on DVD a sort of "sit by Nellie"

approach.  I do not understand what Berninababe is.    Veronica 

1. Pattiann42 | | #9

A Berninababe is a babe that loves Berninas! 

It is a screen name like, spicegirl or ravenswood.

This is the book I used to learn machine embroidery:

http://www.embroideryresource.com/html/eme.html

Edited 1/19/2008 2:47 pm ET by spicegirl1

2. ravenswood | | #10

Thank you so much for your message,  I have been away in UK for a week,  but I shall get ontoAmazon and try to oder that book.   Thank you again.  Veronica

2. ravenswood | | #11

Hello spicegirl,  I tok your advice and ordered the Jeanne Twigg book,  It has just arrived it had to come from USA  so I shall be busy digesting the contents and 'playing' so thank you very much for that.   Ravenswood.

2. BernaWeaves | | #12

I read the title of this thread, "bernna 730" and thought it was a message to me.

No one ever spells my name right.  hehehe

Berna

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights