NEW: Search The Forums


Overcast a shirt hem?

Shoiley's picture

I'm finishing up a top, KwikSew 3161, and the directions (#8, View A) for the bottom edge are to "overcast bottom edge of top."  I am very inexperienced, so I don't know what is meant by this.  I thought overcasting was a stitch used to join the two raw edges of stiffer fabrics like vinyl or leather.  I don't understand what to do. Do I fold the bottom under 1/8" and overcast?  What purpose does overcasting serve? And then I'm supposed to fold a 3/8" hem, press, pin, stitch; but there is a lot of curve, so how can I do I press these curves without creases?  Thanks... (link to pic of instructions)

Jean's picture

(post #24497, reply #1 of 1)

Just run the edge through your serger if you have one, or if not, just zigzag around the edge. Press it under 3/8 of an inch and then topstitch. This gives a neat finish without the bulk of a narrow doubled hem like one on a man's shirt. I like to use a double needle to do this, try it, if your machine has that capability.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused. 

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need