Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Chainstitching on a Kenmore 19233?

sewnstuff | Posted in General Sewing Info on

Hi Everyone,

Can the Kenmore 19233 make a chainstitch? It seems like this stitch shows up often on RTW garments, but it’s not listed in the manual for my sewing machine. Is that just an industry stitch that home sewers cannot usually duplicate?

Replies

1. FitnessNut | | #1

You can make a chainstitch with a five thread serger.

1. sewnstuff | | #2

Thanks FitnessNut, and I'm a big fan of Joseph Campbell. Do you have a favorite serger? Would you recommend one for a beginning sewer? There are so many different kinds (of sergers).--sewnstuff

1. katkween | | #3

I am a big fan of Kenmore products. My sewing machines have always been the Kenmore brand. My Kenmore sewing machines are 20 and 30 years old. My serger is a 2/3/4 Kenmore, which I purchased 6 years ago. That means I can sew with 2 or 3 or 4 threads. Make sure you get a serger with at least 2/3/4 thread option. The serging is much nicer. My serger does beautiful rolled hems with the use of Wooly thread. The Kenmore is reasonably priced and simple to use.

1. sewnstuff | | #4

Dear katkween,Thanks for replying, I love my Kenmore 19233! It's so quiet, and does such a good job. Will the 2/3/4 serger you have make a chainstitch? That's what got my started on this search, I wanted to be able to do chainstitching, which someone else told me generally requires 5 or 7 threads.--sewnstuff

1. carolfresia | | #5

As far as I know, you need at least a 5th thread on a serger to do a chainstitch. The stitch is formed differently than a regular lockstitch (which is what your sewing maching does), or overlock stitch (which is what a serger does).

Carol

2. katkween | | #6

That is correct. My Kenmore 2/3/4 serger/overlock doesn't do a chainstitch. I can use 2 needles and 4 threads but the extra needle doesn't create a chainstitch. My old Babylock (BL4-625), (2 or 4 thread) does chainstitching with a 2 thread serging. I just never liked the 2 thread serging, it didn't look as nice as a 3 thread serging. My Babylock doesn't do rolled hems either.

3. KarenW | | #8

Bernina makes a serger that does ONLY chainstitch and coverstitch - it has one looper and uses one or two needle threads depending on the stitch you want.  I don't know what it goes for new these days, you can usually find them used for a few hundred dollars.  It's a nice accompaniement to a regular serger if you don't want one that's higher end and pricier, or where you convert from a chainstitch to other stitches... many leave this one (009DCC) set up for coverstitching all the time, you could do same for the chainstitch.

4. sewnstuff | | #7

Thanks Carol,--sewnstuff

5. Kiley | | #9

Some of the older sergers that had 3 needles did a chain stitch and I think Singer had one. The Pfaff 4862 and the Elna 744 sergers are non computerized models with automatic tensions and both do chainstitch and coverhem stitches among about 16 other stitch programs and they are only 4 thread sergers. The Elna has 5 needles that tilt back for easy needle change and does 3 coverhem stitches, narrow and wide double seam and triple seam. Janome has 2 new machines that do chain and coverhem only. Bernina, Babylock and Brother have coverhem and chainstitch only machines among some other brands. Most 5 threads do a chainstitch .Juki has a 5 thread serger however that does chain stitch and serged stitches but no coverhem where Juki has other models that do coverhem/chain and serged stitches.  Prices vary accordingly. PatternReview on line has reviews by owners of the different models. Another place with reviews is Epinions..but PatternReview has more.

6. sewnstuff | | #10

Thanks Kiley,This is the most quick comparison information I've seen anywhere. The threads editor changed the columns and while I was trying to line them up, apparantly hitting the spacebar caused the incorrect alignment to be accepted. I give up fixing this matrix, here.Xxx 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9101112131415161718
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Singer o - y - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Pfaff 4862 - - - y - - ny - - - - - - - y -
            Elna 744 - - - y - - ny - - - - - - - y -
            Elna 5 - - - - y - - -y - - - - - 3 - y
            Janome1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - y y n -
            Janome2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - y y n -
            Bernina - - - - - - - - - - - - - y y n -
            Babylock - - - - - - - - - - - - - y y n -
            Brother - - - - - - - - - - - - - y y n -
            Juki1 - - - - y - - - - - - - - y n - - y
            Juki2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - y y - - y
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Key
            1 New or Old?
            2 2-Thread (y for Yes, n for No, - for Don’t Know)
            3 3-Thread
            4 4-Thread
            5 5-Thread
            6 Quiet?
            7 Computerized (y for Yes, n for No, - for Don’t Know)
            8 Auto Tension?
            9 Easy Needle Change?
            10 Easy Threading?
            11 Reliable?
            12 Can handle Single Layer Very-light fabric (#9 needle)?
            13 Can handle Three Layers of Heavy Fabrics (#18 needle)?
            14 Chainstitch?
            15 Coverstitch
            16 Other Stitches?
            17 Narrow/Wide Double-seam and Triple-seam?
            18 Serged Stitches?--sewnstuffEdited 4/29/2006 2:44 pm ET by sewnstuffEdited 4/29/2006 2:45 pm ET by sewnstuff

Edited 4/29/2006 5:00 pm ET by sewnstuff

7. Kiley | | #12

Your welcome..glad if I helped in anyway. There are some great machines on the market today and it can be confusing when wanting to find the one that is right for you. I hope after looking at different models and their reviews you will have a chance to test drive before buying. Machines vary so much in their ease of use, noise, vibration and upkeep requirements, attachments that are offered and price. Sometimes after finding the right machine..we find another we want too LOL!

8. katkween | | #11

Great information! Makes me want to upgrade my serger!

2. MaryinColorado | | #18

I have a Husqvarna Viking Huskylock 936, it does everything but clean the bathroom sink!  Easy to use and a real dream machine, I use it for everything including heirloom techniques.  It is very easy to switch to coverlock and chainstitch. 

I suggest a good dealer that will teach you the machine you want and is available for follow ups.  Some places have serger clubs.  Good luck on your quest, I hope you find the best machine for your purpose.  Why don't you try some test drives so you can decide what you will use it for first. Mary L

2. ColbertCutter | | #13

Hi,

I have a Kenmore 1914 (bought in the 70's) that will make a chainstitch.  To do it, the bobbin case is removed from the shuttle and you also take out the needle plate.  The machine came with a little adapter that fits on the center pin of the shuttle and a different needle plate to use with it.  The adapter is needed to make the chain stitch.  I use this stitch only for when I need to fit something, usually pants, that I can pull out and sew with a permanent stitch when I decide on the right fit.  If you don't have instructions for this in your manual and an adaptor, your machine probably won't make a chainstitch.

1. sewnstuff | | #14

Thank-you ColbertCutter. You sewing machine is the only one I know about that will do a chainstitch.
      -sewnstuff

1. Kiley | | #15

I think on of the old Singer touch and sew models also did a chainstitch. I think it was the model 756.

1. sobee | | #16

Just like Kiley's Singer Touch and Sew, my Singer Touch and Sew zig-zag model 625 does chainstitching too. I have to remove the bobbin and put a litte plate over the area where the bobbin goes, attach an extra thread guide and change the throat plate. I love this feature on my machine which is 25 years old and would keep it just for the chainstitching.I've looked high and low for a new machine that can do chainstitching, but so far I haven't found one. I think in the past I have seen this machine (used) offered on e-bay.Good luck!

1. sewnstuff | | #17

Thanks sobee! It's like sewing bee?

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights