Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Do you have a Janome My Lock 134D serger

SusieQP | Posted in General Discussion on

I found a for sale ad for a Janome My Lock 134D serger, still in the unopened box, for $150. 

I cannot find any for sale in my area.  When I did an on-line search, the only ones I could find were for sale in the UK.  Were these ever sold here in the U.S.?  If so, how long ago, and what was the MSRP?  I went to the Janome official site, and this model is not on there.

I couldn’t find much on reviews about them either.  So, if you have one, can you let me know the pros/cons of them?

I have never used a serger, but I want to learn.  How is this one for a beginner?  I am not new to sewing (been sewing for almost 30 years), but I just never had the money to buy one, and I always got by with a regular sewing machine. 

Thanks so much for anyone’s input!! 

God Bless You,

SusieQP

Replies

1. Cherrypops | | #1

Hello, Sergers have been discussed thoroughly in the past. These links will take you to those i found regarding Janome My Lock. Use the advanced search engine and type serger in the search bar and you will find many more. These will get you started. These ladies I am sure will offer their advice. Reply to their message and ask. 

4131.13 is a message from our member ckbklady who own/owned a 534D she may be able to help you out on the differences between the two. Go back to post number 1 within this discussion...good info given.

6490.32 member crazy k has a 234 - again she will be able to help out...Go back to post number 1 within this discussion..good info given.

7586.1 Advice about sergers messages.

1. SusieQP | | #2

I know there is info here about other sergers, but I need specifics on the 134D model.  I couldn't find info about it here.  I wan't personal opinions of people who own one.  But, thank you! 

I want to know if it is a good model, and how much the original price is, so I know if $150 is a good deal on it.  I don't want a model that is going to have a lot of problems and will frustrate me so much that I give up on it.  I want to learn how to use one, and then if I find that I use it often enough, I will move up to a more advanced model. 

Since Janome doesn't have the model on their website, I wonder if it was a bad model that they don't make/sell anymore??

1. Cherrypops | | #3

thanks for replying; because you said you were a beginner with a serger ( you didn't mention you had searched this site for the info). that's why I posted the links.

patternreview and the sewing forum website has reviews on janomes have you looked there?

Cannot answer on "bad model" Companies are always upgrading their machines.

This is what I can tell you:

price of NEW 134D in 2001 in Australia was $549

recent Ebay price of USED in Australia is $220.

My friend has one ( i had my model numbers wrong ). She always uses 4 threads - straight seaming work. No fancy work for her. It is lightweight and moves around the table a lot. It is very noisy. Owned for a number of years...but for what she needs it serves its purpose.

I own a Bernina which is similar to the Janome 744 ( mine does not Free Arm )

Wish you well on your research.

2. Crazy K | | #4

I'm not sure either........but that would be one of the lower end models.  It could be a discontinued or it could be one sold by Hancock only.  Those models are not listed on the Janome website.  I found that out when researching for my last purchase.......a 3434D or Juno.  Sold only by Hancock.  It's a basic machine and often on sale for $179.00.........brand new at a store.  I have one and it's a good little machine.  Does all the basic stuff plus a rolled hem without changing the needle plate.  Makes for an easy switch.

Sorry I can't help you out with the 134D........I had a 234D and it was good.  I gave it to a friend who needed a serger really badly and couldn't buy her own at the time.

Before you buy this 134D, make sure it has differential feed.......that is probably one of the most important things to check for on a basic model........

Hope this is of some help.

Kay

2. Ckbklady | | #5

Hiya!

Cherrypops has an eagle eye - she spotted my previous post. Thanks, Cherrypops!

I do indeed have a Janome MyLock 534D, but know nothing about the 134D. (Maybe it's a typo?) I bought my 534D used for $350 Canadian in 1994. It was made in 1992 and sold new for about $600 Canadian (This was back when the US dollar bought about $1.30 Canadian). I'd expect that the 134D would be a simpler model based on the logic of a numbering system, but who knows?

My 534 has 4 threads, differential feed and the easiest threading diagram imaginable labelled inside the machine. I've never had a lick of trouble with it. It takes Schmetz needles - cheap and readily available. I took a class at a sewing machine store after I bought the machine and splurged on all the attachment feet - piping, beading, tucking, the lot. I'd never serged before buying it, but it was fun and easy to learn on, even before I took the class.

I have 12 sewing machines (I collect all eras and models) but only one serger - the 534D. Frankly, it does so much more than I ever expected it to do that I don't feel the need to get another. If the machine you're considering is in good shape, it could be a good buy. With the advent of Craigslist online, prices have dropped as competition has increased, and the price might be a little high, but you might be able to haggle a little.

If the model can't be traced at the Janome site, I would be SURE to ask if you're getting a manual with the machine. I would also ask to try it out (they're usually already threaded when they're packed in the factory) to be sure that it hasn't been used and broken and then sold "as new", since no matter what, it's "as is". My local sewing machine store charges $90 for a tune-up and $150-to $hundreds for repairs. It would be a costly doorstop.

I sure hope it's in good shape and that it's right for you.

(Oh, and if you get it and enjoy learning, pick up a copy of the book, THE ULTIMATE SERGER ANSWER GUIDE. You'll find it at Amazon and big bookshops online. It helps troubleshoot all kinds of stitching messes and teaches the use of attachments and is universally applicable to all machines.)

Happy serging!

:) Mary

1. Cherrypops | | #6

thanks mary.

3. Bloss1996 | | #7

Hi All,

Just signed on and have not visited the site in a couple of weeks ... have lots going on in my life right now so I am a little slow on the uptake of posting to this subject.

I have a Janome serger ... unfortunately I cannot remember the model number and the machine is in FL and I am in MA for a couple of months.  Obviously, it is a differential feed machine because of the D following the model number.  Mine is a basic three thread serger that is about 15 years old and has never given me a lick of trouble so even if it is an older model it will probably be okay.

I love the Janome machines.  I purchased a Janome 5500 at the same time I got the three thread serger (that was sort of an extra) and the 5500 (of which there are not many) was and still is a workhorse ... cannot say enough good things about it.  I replaced it with a Janome 11,000 and as much as I like it I still think the 5500 is great.  I have taken both the Janome 5500 and the three thread serger to FL so that I do not have to lug machines back and forth.  I replaced the Janome three thread serger with an Elna 745 cover lock machine which I bought from a friend who was intimadated about threading it.

I do agree that it should not be a refurbished model but if it is new and has a manual you should be fine.

Just a thought, why don't you email Janome and ask about this machine.

4. chguilkey | | #8

NEW HOME MY LOCK 134D SERGER

Saw, your post, don't know how long it's been there, but i was looking for some info on my 134D and thought I'd respond,

I've had mine I'd say at least 20+ years, it is not a new machine, but it's a pretty good one.  It is a differential feed.  Has 4 threads.  I've made all kinds of stuff on mine. Never had it in for a repair, all maintence is simple, change needles, couple drops of oil, dusting it out.  I've never had a problem with it.   Of course going to a serger from a regular sewing machine has it's learning curve, like how to thread.  That is the only part I don't like about serging, but if you tye/knot your thread before you take it through your guides it's not a big deal,  It's only when you have to do it by hand that it's aggreviating. but that's all serger's I believe.  A good machine.  One day I'll upgrade, for a newer bigger module with that air threading.  But everyt time I think about it, I hate to get rid of this machine, it's not to big so it's real portable.   It's a good machine.  My husband was in the service so mine has been through alot of moves etc, before  he retired 14 years ago.  I do plan to upgrade and get the new ovation, has 6 LED lights, and I find the worst thing about any sewing is my eyesight, no a little more light would be great.  But this is a durable machine.  It's paid for itself many times over.   It's up to you, but in my opinion that's a great price for such a good dependable machine. 

5. sewjerseyshore | | #9

Janome mylock134D serger

Hi,

I live in NJ and found a janome 134D serger at a garage sale.  I sew alot but never used a serger before but figured I would purchase this and use it to learn.

It is about 15 years old and was purchased in 2000.  The orignal reciept was in the box and the previous owner paid $349.00 for it.  

I just broke it out this weekend and learned how to thread it.  The  threading is the worst part about using a serger.  The first thread is a little confusing but the rest of the threading was pretty simple.  I was able to thread and use it all day yesterday.  It works really nice.  I just went on-line today to purchase a blind stitch hemming foot for it.  

I think it is easy enough for a first machine.  

good luck

Diane

1. sewjerseyshore | | #10

serger

P.S. in is a mylock 134D and has a differential feed. 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights