Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Bernina 230PE

cookymom | Posted in General Discussion on

Today I’ve sewed on a bernina 230PE. There are many birds nests and both the bobbin and the top thread break while sewing.  I’ve blown out the dust, replaced the needle but don’t know what else would help. 

My project is a simple table runner and I am using the even feed foot so the pieces line up.  Does someone have a suggestion?

I will also tell you I’ve used this machine for about 50 hours but do not feel as adept with it as I did with my old 70″s Kenmore, beloved old girl.  

Carol

Replies

1. User avater
    CostumerVal | | #1

I have had my 230PE for 2 years and I love it to death.  However, just like my old treadle that sits under it, I have to put a finger on the thread tails for the first 2 stitches.  The bobbin will pull the needle thread to the bottom and that is what the birds nest is.  So just pull the threads to the back when you put your fabric under the foot and keep a finger on them when you start.  Let me clarify- you have to hold down the NEEDLE thread.  You don't have to even bring the bobbin thread to the top before sewing, but you might want to trim it with that razor blade under there.

Only other thing about this machine is that the reverse button is huge and the electronic connection is at the top of the button.  I was getting lazy and just tapping the very bottom corner with my thumb and occassionally it wouldn't reverse.  That was making me mad, until I took the cover off and discovered it was my fault.

Dont get your finger under the needle!  It will sew through the bone before breaking the needle.  It will handle as much leather as you can stuff under your walking foot.  May have to get a roller if you want to go thicker.  I actually sewed that thick plastic "hump jumper" to a pair of jeans once.

I love this machine!  I don't know how long you've had it, but the 3 groove pintuck foot is a MUST!  I use it for rolled hems, 1/8th inch french seams on shears, invisible zippers, piping, couching, cording,  I think I may have actually done a pintuck once.

Val

1. cookymom | | #2

Thanks for your tips.  I've got to replace a zipper so I will be buying that special foot that you use for so many projects. 

Carol

2. meg | | #3

You might try something which many quilters do: use a scrap piece of fabric (about 3" long and 1" wide). Start stitching on the scrap, and then move the fabric you wish to stitch toward the needle. Once you've stitched a few inches of your fabric, you may stop and clip off the scrap; then once you've stitched to the end of your seam drive right back on to the scrap. This will end up saving quite a bit of thread and helps to eliminate that bundle of nesting material at the beginning of your seams.Also, some machine manufacturers recommend not blowing out the dust, but vacuuming out the dust. Using compressed air sometimes drives the lint further into an area which may damage the machine. When you've finished with a particular spool of thread, do not pull the thread back up through the machine. Instead, clip the thread somewhere between the spool and the tension disc, pull the thread out in the same direction as if you were stitching. Even the more lint-free threads still pick up dust and you don't want to drag that lint back into the tension disc area. Good luck with your machine! You will find your comfort zone with it!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights