Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

10,000 quilt mark passed

junkhound | Posted in General Discussion on

Am a denizen of FHB breaktime, thought I come over here to brag on my wife a little <G>

She started with a goal of 10,000 quilts to donate to Lutheran world relief about 30 some years ago, just completed her 10,100 (she added 100 to her goal to be sure she did not miscount).

Wondered if anyone on this discussion board has done similar.

Replies

1. gailete | | #1

Are you saying your wife personally made 10100 quilts?!!!? If so, I'm in awe. what kind are they that she could complete that many?

Gail

1. junkhound | | #2

She has personnaly sewn 10,100 the quilt tops, group of ladies at various churches over the years have done the tying. 

Nearly all are very simple, most with random 6" by 6" squares, some a little better that get auctioned off various places to help pay shipping costs.

Not like my mothers quilts though - one of Mom's squares below

View Image

Typical world releif average to better shown below.  The few DW has made with with pictures or artwork get auctioned or kept.

View ImageView Image

Edited 3/24/2009 9:37 am ET by junkhound

Edited 3/24/2009 9:40 am ET by junkhound

1. gailete | | #3

Your mother's quilt block, as I'm sure you know is awesome. I love the small postage stamp quilt - I know the work that goes into sewing all those squares together even with strip and chain piecing. Apparently your wife has never be bored for the last 30 years. Is the fabric donated? It is a good thing she has help putting them together. If had someone finishing my quilts after I made the tops, I'd make a whole lot more, as it is the piecing process that interests me and as I usually do some type of scrap quilt, seeing how it looks when finished is always a wonderful surprise.

I have made only a few charity quilts, but I'm at the point of just needing to finish a lap quilt for me and some wall hanging quilts for decorating the house, and I will definitely need to be making charity quilts if I'm ever to make a dent in my stash.

Best wishes to your wife and to you for being a proud and obviously encouraging husband.

Gail

2. User avater
        rodezzy2 | | #7

Awesome.  I can't find any other word, just awesome determination and giving heart.

2. MaryinColorado | | #4

WOW!  Your wife set the biggest goal I have ever heard of!  And then to accomplish such a tremendous task!   Congratulations to your wife for her giving spirit and determination! 

I wonder if there is anything in the Guinness Book of Records for this?  I imagine she would be a contender, if not the winner! 

She is an amazing woman to set her mind to this and do it!  And I'm sure you are a wonderfully supportive talented husband to create and build her lovely sewing studio! 

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of the quilts and studio.  What an inspiration!

Your mother's little quilt is quite detailed and beautifully done also.  Bless you and your family for having such giving hearts.

Edited 3/24/2009 12:43 pm by MaryinColorado

3. User avater
    ThreadKoe | | #5

Junkhound, thank you. Thank you for caring enough to brag about your spouse! Thank you for supporting her goal! She really worked hard to attain it. Kudos to both of you. Even a simple quilt has a beauty all of it's own. The bigger beauty is the love and sharing that built it. Cathy

4. User avater
    JunkQueen | | #6

I am not a quilter -- though I think you and I may be kindred spirits *giggle*-- but I can appreciate your wife's accomplishment. This is really a wonderful thing she has done. Good on her! And you for appreciating her art and hard work. Thank you for sharing with us.

5. Josefly | | #8

No wonder you want to brag on your wife. Wonderful work.

6. goodwife | | #9

Your wife is incredible. Such commitment.  Please give her my congratulations.  Do contact Guiness Book of Records, I am sure she must be a record breaker. 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights