Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Issue 143

Pattiann42 | Posted in Feedback on Threads on

Great issue –  Love the top featured on the cover.

I strive to learn something new each day.

Replies

1. kbalinski | | #1

I also loved the blouse on the cover! I headed to the store to buy the pattern, and found frustration!  Not only was it out of stock, but it's for knits only!? Uh... that doesn't look like a knit on the cover of Threads.  Arrgh...

Other than that problem, I liked the issue.  The pants fitting story and the fly-zipper instruction is definitely already dog-earred!

1. knitbunnie | | #2

I was just looking at that same blouse, the cover blouse, and had the same thought -  the close-up showing the wrong side really looks like a woven.  (I ordered the pattern from Vogue Patterns online - they're having a great sale.) 

I hope someone from Threads gives us the scoop on how this worked out in a woven.  Did they add a zipper?  I absolutely love that cover blouse, but I cannot afford to buy expensive fabric without knowing what to do to make this pattern work in a woven.  I don't have the time or the expertise to experiment, either. 

Is the fabric silk charmeuse or something else?  I saw that the inspiration garment was in silk charmeuse, but I can't find a fabric listed for the cover blouse.   

1. User avater
        Deana | | #3

Hi ladies, Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you are liking the issue so far! I will double check with the author on the cover garment in regard to the pattern. The editor of that story is out on maternity leave. I'll get back to you on this!

2. User avater
        JunkQueen | | #4

According to the Online Magazine Extras article about the "Shell Hem Edge" -- I quote: In the June/ July 2009 issue of Threads (Issue #143) author Anna Mazur creates 4 fabulous edge enhancements inspired by designer Elie Tahari. On one of her styles, the yellow, silk charmeuse blouse with pearls over the tucks, she added a shell hem edge on the sleeve cuff.

This extra appears to have been written by Anna Mazur,the author of the article in the magazine. I note also on page 19 of Issue #143, there is a review of this pattern with the "Style Tip": (quoting here) If you love this style in a knit, try it in a woven fabric, too -- just be sure to make a muslin first.

1. kbalinski | | #5

JunkQueen, Thanks for reviewing the fine print.  The thought did occur to me that it is possible to convert for a woven.  I was just disappointed that it was featured on the cover so beautifully, in a fabric that the pattern doesn't recommend.  But alas, that is part of the continued saga of learning new tricks, isn't it?  That scallop edge and floating arrowheads are such neat ways to really make home sewn garments look... well, not home sewn!  My other favorite was the seminole piecing technique for skirts and dresses.  A great addition to a simple silhouette!

Kristine in Michigan

1. maui | | #6

Hello everyone,

Yes, I made the blouse from a woven (silk Charmeuse) even though the pattern called for knits. Prior to making it, I had tried on the muslin the tester made for the pattern review column which was in a knit, size 10. The bust, shoulder, armhole and sleeve area was very roomy while the hemline skimmed my hips, also the neckline is very wide. At this point I knew the blouse was going to fit in a woven but needed to double check this. So I measured the pattern tissue and compared the numbers with my actual body measurements.  I found the next size up gave me enough ease at the hips.  If it had not, I could always have inserted a zipper at side seam, center back seam or created little slits at side seams.  Another change I made was to add a facing to the neckline, because the pattern is designed for a raw edge.

<!----><!----> <!---->

Anna Mazur

Edited 5/5/2009 5:11 pm ET by Maui

2. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #8

Thanks for the additional information. That blouse is gorgeous, and you've inspired a lot of us, if the response on this site is any indication. I'm glad you chose such a spectacular color in a solid, and also a color that photographs well so the details of it can be seen in print. I also like the other trim details you showed us. I know I plan to use all of your wonderful ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.

3. maui | | #9

You are very welcome JunkQueen!  Sewing the shell hem is actually a very fast process.  It is just as fast as hand sewing an oridinary hem.  Give it a try.

Anna Mazur

4. kbalinski | | #10

Anna,

Thanks so much for your response, it is very helpful!  It's also nice to know that the arrowheads and scallops are easy, now I won't be as intimidated to try them!

Kristine in Michigan

5. maui | | #11

You are very welcome Kristine!

6. knitbunnie | | #12

Thank you for all your help.  I'm going to give it a try - the pattern came in today's mail. 

7. maui | | #13

You're welcome!  Enjoy creating it

Anna

8. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #7

I understand how you feel. The blouse is quite beautiful, and I plan to make it also. I've been following your sewing adventures from the rabbits to clothing for some time on your blog. You are very talented and do nice work. I have only recently been able to bookmark your blog. Maddening. I'd bookmark it, and the next time I tried to look at it, it'd be gone from my list. I think my list may have been full, if that's possible, so I edited out some bookmarks not as interesting as your blog and created a new folder just for yours, and viola! It worked.

I hope you post the journey to making this blouse on your blog ..... with pictures.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights