Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Flexible Waist Finishes #138

kbalinski | Posted in Feedback on Threads on

Thanks for the clear direction, I’ve been wanting to add this feature to my side zip pants for a long time!

My favorite RTW pants (Eddie Bauer, Bremerton fit) have this feature, and using your direction, I was able to wrap my brain around altering my sewing and pattern accordingly.  Now, instead of paying $40 for this fit, I’ve got a pair for under $10 hanging in my closet, and you’d never know the difference!

Pictures are on my blog, www.kbdesigns74.blogspot.com

Thanks again from Kristine in Michigan

Replies

1. MargieT | | #1

I love your pants.  Thanks for the reminder about the article in Threads. I will have to give it a try.  It looks great with the invisible zip.

2. dressed2atee | | #2

great work!  keep on sewing...I love that!

3. sewslow67 | | #3

Very neat pants; also nice blouse.  That's a great pattern, too.  Good job!

4. Josefly | | #4

The blouse you made as part of your wardrobe entry is quite nice. I like the look of the extended shoulder and yoke. That is correct, isn't it? - it's not a set-in sleeve?Nice work.

1. kbalinski | | #5

No, not a set in sleeve! It's just extended with a box pleat on the shoulder, which gives it a completely different shape! I wasn't planning on using that pleat, but I really didn't care for the blah, wide, unfitted, unflattering look without it.

Thanks for the compliments,

Kristine

1. Josefly | | #6

Thanks for your answer. So is the pleat done AFTER the garment is finished, i.e., the yoke sewn to the fronts and back, the extended shoulder/sleeve hemmed, etc.?

1. kbalinski | | #7

Josefly,

The sequence is... the side seams are stitched,then the armhole is hemmed (by the way, the sides are supposed to have a 3/4" s.a. for the armhole hem).  Then you sew the yoke right sides together, and stitch for 5/8" on the line marked on the pattern.  Press the pleat open, and secure the edges of the pleat to the armhole.

Make sense?  I hope so...

Kristine

1. Josefly | | #8

Thank you, Kristine, that's very clear. I've been thinking about trying that technique. That shoulder style looks good on you. I have narrow shoulders and usually look better with a set-in sleeve, but am wondering if this would do. I'll try it with a muslin.

5. nikkisewz | | #9

It's always such a relief to create pants that FIT!

Great job, and thanks for posting the results.

6. sewelegant | | #10

Your blog is a most inspiring read!  Congratulations on a job well done.  I haven't got a clue how one goes about making one of these, but am wishing this technology had been around when I was your age... what a wonderful way to keep track of all your sewing projects and how they came out.  My only record is in looking at old photographs and seeing all the clothing that I made for myself and my children in almost every one!  It's kind of mind boggling at this stage of life because I didn't think of myself as being that productive... it was just a very satisfying activity I loved.  You have every right to be proud of what you do.

1. kbalinski | | #11

I really get a kick out of blogging, and the best part is meeting other people that also love to sew.  I've meet amazing women from Alaska, Boston, Oklahoma, and New York.  To see what everyone's working on, to have a sounding board with a huge knowledge base... it's all been very educational and enjoyable.  There's a lot ladies share besides sewing projects, too.  This summer I've gotten great recipes, adding new books to my reading list, and laughed out loud quite often.

Even if you're not ready to start one of your own, I encourage you visit some and see what you think.  Everyone has favorite links listed, so it's easy to start in one point, and just wander through cyberspace.  If you do decide to try it, let me know, I'm more than happy to point you in the right direction, it's actually quite simple to do.

One more bonus: My family and friends (in "real life") are able to see what I've been working on and leave me messages, since we may not actually visit too often.

Kristine

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights