Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Archive 1985 to 2011

scrubble4 | Posted in Feedback on Threads on

Hi:  I just received my Archive of Threads 1985 to 2011.  First let me say what a treat it is to have all the mags on my computer.  My husband and I have recently retired and our currently travelling in our motorhome.  There isn’t a lot of storage so I have to be judicious about what I pack.  Of course my serger, sewing machine, cutting boards and notions are all on board.  My ironing board and my iron maven steam pressure iron is also on board.  I also love cooking and baking so I have a few kitchen machines, so we are now talking major streamline for everything else.  My husband is a do it your selfer so he has his critical tools on board.  That does not leave room for my complete collection of Threads.  So I am thrilled to have as an early Christmas gift of the Archive.  

Oh what is it about this site.  I pressed return 5 times and cursor never moved.  I checked my connection, Yup I am connected.  I start to type and it pops down to the next line.  Something about Taunton press technology is on a parallel but not identical universe.  That is pretty frustrating when technology is not your passion.

So here I want to give some feedback.  First would I recommend the archive?  Yes if you want the complete set of articles 1985 – 2011 and have nerves of steel in the frustration category.  It   i s    v e r y    s l o w    a n d    d o e s    n o t    a l w a y s    c o n n e c t.   I am no techie and I am no mechanic but it seems to me like it is a 1/4 inch garden hose trying to deliver a 1 inch potential of water.  It trickles it does not flow.  Many of the features that so frustrated me because I thought they were not present I discovered by accident were present. . I discovered this, because I had to pause to make dinner etc and came back to find the requested item.  I don’t have 1 1/2 minutes to give to every move request on the computer.  Grrrrrrr!  

Now I did know this about other DVD’s from Taunton.  Each time I swear off them because they seem to employ different structures to their programs than are used for almost anything else you will purchase or use.  Then there is something that I think, oh, that would be so nice.  I order and go through this frustration curve again.  I wish I could say learning curve, but in truth it is learning how to   s l  o    w       w    a     y   d o w n.  Now others may have time in their lives to do this, but I don’t seem to and I apologixze for that.  If I want to get the exercising, baking, sewing, knitting and relaxing (that is also improtant but it is not my main time consumer) done each day as well as other activities like laundry and clearning.  I can’t wait, and wait and wait for this DVD.  And no I don’t think it is the processing speed of my new I7 computer.  Unfortunately, I think it is the Thread format whatever it is that they use.  It is crazy.  It is slow, and out of synch with industry standards.  I suspect it is economical.  But when the frustration of the customer is unimportant and their $ bottom line is all that is important Grrrrrrr.  

Yes I will keep using it, but not like I thought I would.  That deeply saddens me.  Everytime a trusted company turns heel to the god of commerce and forsakes its customers I am saddened.  

When people talk about the US buying American and not Chinese or other overseas country’s products, I think this is so possible if quality control and customer service is king.  It used to be and they both seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird.  Let’s encourage companies like Taunton to pull back to customer service and quality control   Their magazines are first rate but everything else seems like a giant cash register cachinging away.  

Okay, one other thing.  I also received Sandra Betzina’s Fast Fit.  I truly love this book.  I am crazy about fit.  I have a My Twin that my husband made for me and Cochenile’s Design for clothes.  Both because I want the clothes I make to fit.  I also have a many other fitting books.  I still think Sandra’s fabulous organization, simple and extremely effective information are a winner that makes this book worth the addition in most people’s sewing library.  

thanks Scrubble4

Replies

1. Pattiann42 | | #1

Opening threads archive

I had the original and then just updated to include 2010-2011.

I have never had an issue with loading or viewing either CD.  Or, accessing the threads site.

The instructions recommend removing any previous versions, which may not apply to your situation if this is your first version of the CD.

2. lou19 | | #2

I have no problems with the DVD, I love it. It does however use ALOT of memory on the computer, this might be part of the the problem for you. Alternatively contact service/ customer care at Threads for more advise

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights