Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

New to sewing, considering White 1999…

Karen_Hong | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

Hi,

I’m planning on taking a beginning sewing class and am looking to buy a sewing machine. My budget is around $200. The people at allbrands seem to like White and recommended the 1999 Jeans machine. I’ve been reading the message boards and people tend to recommend buying higher-end used machines but I haven’t found anything like that yet. In any case, I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thanks!
Karen

Replies

1. Paisley | | #1

Karen, I know this is late, but perhaps not.
    I looked at the White Jeans Machine and I wasn't impressed with it.
    I just needed another machine while mine was being repaired.
    I think maybe you should sit down at the shops and try each machine out and see how it feels and works for you.
    It is hard to say which machine to get, but some people give you help with their opinions.
    I like Necchi, but Not all their machines and others have different machines they prefer for different reasons.
    Try sewingworld.com and review the machine sections.
    You can also search here for machine preferences.
    Good luck and peace.

1. Lorraine_Pierce | | #2

*Karen,My mother had White from the 1950's which we both loved. I bought a used 1970's White and it served me well. I then bought a new Jeans machine, which I was not too happy with, I had for about 5 yrs though. I then decided to go into debt and get a Bernina. Apparently the newer Whites aren't as good as they used to be.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights