Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Juki DDL-8700

Ariana | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I am considering the purchase of a Juki DDL-8700. Any comments from current and/or past owners is appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

1. marymary | | #1

I own a Juki DDL 9000 which is the same as the 8700, but with a larger throat area.  It is the machine I "go to".  I have a Bernina that I use for buttonholes and anything beyond a SS.  I also have an assorment of vintage machines that I can use.

All kinds of feet are available and cheaper than for a lot of home machines.

My Juki has a Servo motor.  I will never have another industrial that doesn't have a Servo motor.  The motor only runs when you are running the machine.  With a clutch motor it makes constant noise.  I also have a computer component that sits on top of the machine that I can use for regulating needle up/down, cutting the thread and a couple other things.  It is a great addition.

There is no oil pan.  Mine is the version that spits oil at the bobbin race, so it does have to have a small amount of oil.  I was always afraid I would end up spilling the oil from my old industrial Singer.

Doing FM quilting is easy with my Juki.  The dealer outfitted my machine with a special throat plate with a single hole and a slick surface.  I remove the feed dogs, put on the special plate, put on a FM foot and FM.  If I have a small amount to do, I sometimes set the stitch length to "0" and don't bother with taking off the feed dogs and changing the plate.

I love my machine.  It is a precision instrument that works exactly as it is supposed to. 

1. 3ceepio | | #2

Adapting Juki DDL 9000 for quilting

Hi marymary, I know this is an ancient thread but I found this while researching using Juki DDL 9000 for quilting and I'm hoping you'll see this and are willing answer a few questions:

Are you still using the Juki for FM quilting? How much of a change is it to remove and refit the feed dogs each time? Where did you get the FM foot?

I'm in Australia and have contacted the one (and only) distributor here and they seemed stumped by my wanting to use the DDL machine for quilting, so it does not seem as though there are many people doing this. I think the Juki would be ideal for this (long lasting!) so I'm looking for as much information as I can on this topic.

Thanks in advance

1. marymary | | #3

Juki for Quilting

Yes, I am still using my Juki for quilting.

It takes a few minutes to remove the feed dogs and you have to be careful not to drop the little screws.  I have a screwdriver with a very long handle and a blade that fits the screws.  This keeps the slot in the head of the screws from getting worn.  I don't know the size of the screw driver.  The dealer sent me to the hardware store with instructions to get the exact one.  The long handle means it is easier to turn the screws.

My dealer also got me a plate with a single hole.  It doesn't have an opening for feed dogs.  It is green, if that helps.  The FM foot came either from a Brother or Juki home machine.  I don't remember which one, but I think they are the same.  My dealer got all these things for me.  When I was looking for a machine, I told him what I wanted to do with it.  I have since bought a few other FM feet from industrial machines sites, but I always seem to go back to the one off a home machine.  Since it doesn't look as substancial as an industrial foot, I bought an extra. 

I also have a walking foot (from my dealer) that I use to baste my quilts with water soluble thread.  I have to go slow, but it is worth it.  I pin baste my quilts, then baste on the machine and remove the pins as I go.  It makes it so much easier to quilt when I don't have to constantly worry about where the pins are.

I have a few times not removed the feed dogs and turned the stitch length to "0".  This works, but not as well.  I only do this if I have a small amount of FM to do.  I made pot holders for Christmas presents a while back and it was much easier to be able to sew them together on my Juki and then quilt them without having to remove the feed dogs.

Removing the feed dogs isn't as hard as some people might think.  Putting them back on, they only go one way.  If they were the right height when you took the off, they will be the right height when you put them back on.

If there is anything else I can tell you, please ask.  I am sorry it took me several days to respond, but I have been having trouble with not being able to comment on Gatherings.  I ask for help and got great help from the Taunton Customer Service.

2. Sher Acheson | | #4

Walking Foot for Industrial Juki

Hi marymary!

i read your post that you wrote some time ago. You say that you use a walking foot on your Juki DDL 9000. Could you please give me a part number or take a picture of it. I really want to get one for my DDL-8700. 

Thanks!!!

3. Sher Acheson | | #5

Walking Foot for Industrial Juki

Hi marymary!

i read your post that you wrote some time ago. You say that you use a walking foot on your Juki DDL 9000. Could you please give me a part number or take a picture of it. I really want to get one for my DDL-8700. 

Thanks!!!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights