Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

bernina 1008 vs viking 350..any exper…

Jean_Ann | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I am looking for a new sewing machine. I have narrowed my search to a Bernina 1008 or a computerized viking 350. My concerns are (1)that I might outgrow the Bernina, (2) How hard is it to make buttonholes on the Bernina (3) the viking is computerized and not sure if it is as durable or will last as long as a mechanical machine? Can any one help with these concerns?

Replies

1. Ghillie_C | | #1

I have a Bernina 1001, which as far as I can see is identical to the 1008. I love it dearly but it did not take me long to discover what it could not do. However over 90% of sewing is just going straight forward and this it does with complete dependability on just about any fabric.

Its ability to do decorative stitches and 'heirloom' type sewing is very limited by its mechanical nature, in particular it is just about impossible to line up two decorative rows. It can do decent buttonholes, but only one width and it is up to the operator to make sure they are the all the same length and not lop sided. I find buttonholing is something I have to do quietly and undisturbed!

I should love a computerized machine, and have used one in classes, but would expect to pay very much more for it than I did for the 1001 to get durability. I would not trade my workhorse, I have heard enough of difficulties with sophisticated machines to want both.

It is really a matter of priorities - and cash. I hope you have as much fun with your choice as I have had with mine.

1. heather_blair | | #2

*Jean Ann, There is a discussion in progress on Sewingworld about the Viking 350. It makes "chirping" noises and Viking's response has been less than desirable. Check it out. If you do mainly clothing construction...I would go for the Bernina any day. Don't forget to look at previous Bernina models, all reliable and available at good prices second hand.Heather

1. Cheri_Kinch | | #3

*I have had a Bernina 180 for the past year. I must say that it does everything I could have ever hoped for and does it well. I know that it is very expensive yet it sews beautifully and has so much to offer. I am able to use new techniques and stitches that I have learned with ease. It has been dependable and easy to use. The Bernina dealer has been very supportive to help with technique questions. I had been out of the sewing world for almost 20 years and have had much catching up to do. There are so many new products and techniques to learn about. I would recommend getting a used Bernina that has been traded in when someone trades up or a store demo machine. A considerable savings can be made and you get a warranty and a terrific machine.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights