Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Any I crazy? thinking about selling Bernina Artista 200 and buying Bernina 550

jncbtlr | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

Hi-

I bought the Bernina Artista 200 about 9 years ago.  I have all the bells and whistles including all the embroidery accessories.  I have never used the embroidery attachment.  Never.  I have 3 little ones and still do not think I will ever use it.  

I just have never loved this machine.  

Am I crazy to sell it and buy a Bernina 550?  I used to sew all of my career clothes but now I am a stay at home mom and am more interested in quilting and making “art” wear.  

Any opinions or suggestions?  

Thanks for your time.  

Replies

1. lou19 | | #1

I use an 25 year old bernina and probably wouldn't part with it even if I was able to buy the latest top of the range machine.

Have both- if you can.

2. sewchris703 | | #2

It doesn't matter how top of the line the machine is or how many bells and whistles it has, if you don't like it, you won't sew on it.  And it will just sit there gather dust and you will continue to be frustrated with sewing and the machine.  I'm a professional dressmaker.  The newest machine I have is over 10 years old.  I sew the most on a machine that is 55 years old.  The point to all this is get the machine you enjoy sewing on.

Chris

3. HelgaPataki | | #3

whoops

sorry

4. Keepin Stitches | | #4

Bernina Prices

Hi,

Before you buy a Bernina in the USA, you ought to look at this youtube video about pricing - it will give you a lot of information in getting the best price and probably saving a good amount of money. 

1. HelgaPataki | | #5

good timing

its good to buy now because the dollar is low, well it depends on where you live, but if you have the bucks the dollar is low.  I bought my singer 160 anniversary edition including shipping across the border for under 700

5. HelgaPataki | | #6

if the dollar is low and you have the bucks, its a good time to invest in all that you need.

6. BlueRoses | | #7

bernina

since you've never loved the machine, then why not get one you will like & use more. I'm a stay at home mom too. quilting is a great deal of fun & enjoyment.  since you have three little ones, buying a new machine may inspire you to do more sewing than the old one.

good luck with your decision

happy sewing & quilting

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights