NEW: Search The Forums

TIPS ON SEWING PILLOWS

MARY92002's picture

I HAVE 2 PILLOW FORMS SIZE 14 X 14....WHAT SIZE DO I CUT THE MATERIAL TO FIT? I AM AN EXPERIENCED SEWER.....BUT MOSTLY CLOTHES AND HAVE NOT DONE ANY PILLOWS BEFORE...I WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP

ShannonG4d's picture

Mary,

When I make pillows using forms like these, I cut the fabric exactly the same size as the form, no additions made for seam allowances. I like the form to fill out all the corners of the pillow and this seems to do the trick. So in this case, I'd cut the fabric squares 14 x 14. It goes against all the "rules" of sewing to do it this way...but it works!

JenSauer's picture

This is a good tip. With a new home, I've been making up a ton of new pillows and through trial and error, I've discovered the same trick.

Jennifer Sauer, Threads

silkscape's picture

A tip I like for pillows is to taper in the corners to avoid the too pointy, dog-eared look.  (the corners will stretch b/c they are bias).  From about 3 or 4" before the corner, taper your sewing in to make the seam allowances at the corner 1/4" bigger than at the middle of the seams (the middle of the pillow sides.)

Crish's picture

I agree with both of the preceding tips.

Recently I have been making pillows with a diagonal zipper closure.  Results have been good.  Doing it on the diagonal give a larger opening for inserting the pillow and it really easy to get the corners fully stuffed.  I have been using an invisible zipper which gives a very nice finish.  Idea doesn't work if the pillow fabic is a plaid or large pattern because the match gets screwed up. Great if the fabric is solid or small allover pattern. 

ShannonG4d's picture

Crish, that is a terrific idea!  Thanks for sharing:)

Shannon

CarolFresia's picture

I really like the diagonal zipper idea, and could even see making it a design feature: remember the Threads cover with the beaded, hand-picked zipper? You could do something like that. Just don't make it tempting enough that people want to unzip it and let the stuffing out. In my house, I should probably put padlocks on zipped things, because there are lots of little fingers that like to try out zippers.