NEW: Search The Forums


Overcast a shirt hem?

Shoiley's picture

I'm finishing up a top, KwikSew 3161, and the directions (#8, View A) for the bottom edge are to "overcast bottom edge of top."  I am very inexperienced, so I don't know what is meant by this.  I thought overcasting was a stitch used to join the two raw edges of stiffer fabrics like vinyl or leather.  I don't understand what to do. Do I fold the bottom under 1/8" and overcast?  What purpose does overcasting serve? And then I'm supposed to fold a 3/8" hem, press, pin, stitch; but there is a lot of curve, so how can I do I press these curves without creases?  Thanks... (link to pic of instructions)

Jean's picture

Just run the edge through your serger if you have one, or if not, just zigzag around the edge. Press it under 3/8 of an inch and then topstitch. This gives a neat finish without the bulk of a narrow doubled hem like one on a man's shirt. I like to use a double needle to do this, try it, if your machine has that capability.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused. 

A  clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
help to provide free mammograms for women in need